Saturday, June 27, 2015

Saturday June 27, 2015

$SPY, $STUDY With the Greeks set to meet with their creditors over the weekend, investors stayed cautious Friday.  A nearly 8% drop in the Shanghai stock market scared some investors, while a strong earnings report from NKE and a better than expected June Michigan Sentiment reading kept investors optimistic about our economic growth. Like Thursday, higher prices in the first hour were met by profit taking. Technology stocks weighed on the overall market after MU missed its earnings on poor PC sales.

Trading volume was unduly heavy Friday as the result of the Russell index rebalancing. There are a few factors which will likely keep the uncertainty relatively high in the market next week. The obvious one continues to be the Greek factor. Greece is due to make a payment to the IMF on Tuesday. Unless a deal is reached over the weekend, expect the anxiety to continue into Tuesday. Then, there is the usual quarter end window dressing which should bring a positive bias. Lastly, it is going to be a holiday-shortened week. Neither bulls nor bears are likely to make large trading commitments ahead of the holiday.

Technically, there are some increasing warning signs as the Major Market Model has reduced the Asset Allocation recommendation to 37.5% Long 62.5% Cash. I added AVGO, EW and GILD to the portfolio on June 22nd and sold STZ on June 25th due to an Opinion Downgrade.  Timing is everything and my timing over the past week left something to be desired.  Not only did I elect to add to the portfolio in front of the current weakening in Technology segment I barely broke even for the week with my options trading.  While there were two winning and two losing trades resulting in a nominal profit for the week I chose to trade on Friday not taking into account the probable impact of the Russell rebalancing activities.  Friday’s trade resulted in a -6.89% loss on the trade and while not the largest single loss for the year it is close.  And I have no one but myself to blame, as I neglected to take my own advice and take the time to check the calendar before trading.  This negligence resulted in my being locked into a positon after my Stop Loss alert was triggered and having to watch the Bid drop an additional dime before I could get executed.  My fault and a lesson learned. 

However the overall uptrend remains intact as the S&P 500 remains in a slight upward sloping/sideways channel, stock-picking is the way to go.






No comments:

Post a Comment